How can I get US Chia seeds?
Click here to purchase food-grade US Chia Seeds.
What are the benefits of chia seeds?
Chia, is a word for strength in the Mayan culture. Often referred to as a "super food", chia possesses many great health benefits for humans. From the growing child to the aging adult, chia supports optimized body function throughout all of life’s stages. As an all-natural nutrient source, chia allows for faster assimilation and absorption into the body than processed supplements or other nutrient sources. With a mild taste and texture, they are easy to incorporate into your existing diet. The only difference you'll notice is feeling healthier. Below are the properties and benefits of the nutrients in chia seeds.
The US Chia difference
Chia plants require a long, dry growing season to mature, and historically have only been cultivated in Australia, and Central and South America... until now. US Chia seeds can handle the rainy climate of Florida, enabling our chia to be cultivated in the US. By growing our products in the US, we are able to work closely with our farmers to ensure a quality product, free from contamination and chemicals. By being an entirely American company, we can focus our resources on providing excellent service to our customers.
Abundance and diversity of nutrients
Chia seeds are the highest naturally occurring source of Omega-3 fatty acids, with the proper 3:1 ratio of Omega-3s to Omega-6s. (source)
- Chia's oil is 63% Omega-3, greater than flaxseed oil (58%), and menhaden fish oil (29%).
- Chia seeds are a rich source of Vitamin B, with a higher niacin content than corn, rice, and even soy. Its thiamine and riboflavin content is similar corn and rice.
- Chia seeds are a great source of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, and copper.
Arthritis relief and anti-inflammatory properties
Chia's powerful anti-inflammatory properties can reduce joint swelling and stiffness related to arthritis, and aid in recovery from strenuous exercise. (source)
Supports better gastrointestinal function
- Chia seeds are 40% fiber. They have a higher concentration of soluble fiber (27%) than wheat, oats, and flax.
- When ingested wet, chia is known to cleanse the intestines by clearing buildup and residue in the digestive track.
- Chia seeds are easily digestible.
Have been known to treat and prevent symptoms of ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, and other gastrointestinal related illnesses. (source)
Hydrates and retains electrolyte balance
Because chia seeds absorb 12X their weight in water, they keep the body hydrated longer and help retain electrolytes. (source)
- Balancing the electrolytes and maintaining proper hydration also allows better absorption of other nutrients.
Healthier skin, nails and hair
- The Omega-3 combined with high amount of antioxidants and vitamins in chia seeds promote healthier and stronger skin, nails and hair.
Complete protein source
Chia seeds have more protein (19-23%) than other whole grains, such as wheat (13.7%), rice (6.5%), corn (9.4%), barley (12.5%), and oats (16.9%), and contains the full amino acid spectrum. (source)
- Chia seeds are a complete source of protein, unlike protein sources like peanuts and certain beans; meaning they do not need to be combined with other sources to achieve the full protein benefits.
- The combination of a complete protein source with the broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals in chia helps you feel more energized throughout the day.
- The protein density found in chia is helpful for putting on lean muscle mass and boosting metabolism.
- Chia is proven to withstand extremes of -20 to 110 degrees F. The natural abundance of antioxidants stabilize the vitamins, minerals and fats.
- Chia seeds have a 5-year shelf life without going rancid.
Support for heart health and diabetes
Recent studies are indicating that a chia rich diet helps lower harmful LDL cholesterol and triglycerides while increasing beneficial HDL cholesterol. (source)
Linkages are also found for helping diabetics to control both their blood sugars and blood pressure. This is attributed to the fact that when digested in a gel form, the gel slows the breakdown of carbohydrates, allowing the body to process sugars more gradually. (source)
- With gluten-free diets becoming more popular, chia seeds are a great replacement for grains containing gluten, as they are 100% gluten free.
Stimulates brain function
- Omega-3 fatty acids promote efficient nerve transmission, helping to improve brain function and mood.
- Contains four times the amount of calcium as milk, as well as the trace mineral boron, which catalyzes calcium absorption and usage throughout the body.
- Because of the soluble fiber, chia seeds turn into a gel and increases in mass when combined with water or liquid. This helps you feel fuller and prevents over eating.
- While being filling, chia seeds are low in calories, making them beneficial to dieters or those trying to maintain a lower weight.
- Anti-inflammatory properties associated with Omega-3 reduce sinus-swelling resulting from allergies, while also boosting the immune system to ward of future allergy attacks.
How do I eat chia seeds?
The most recommended way to consumer chia seeds is to prepare chia gel, allowing the chia seeds to be easily digested and the nutrients better absorbed. A gel will also stretch the life of your chia, as 1 tablespoon of chia seeds equals 9 tablespoons of chia gel.
The recipe is simple:
- 1/3 cup Chia
- 1 ½ - 2 cups water
- Mix together and soak for at least 10 minutes. Stir again.
Once you have made a gel, you can add it into any form of moist food source – smoothies, yogurt, dips, mashed potatoes, sauces, salad dressings etc. The possibilities are endless. Chia seeds have no distinctive flavor, so they can be added unnoticed to almost any dish. This gel can be stored for two to three weeks in the refrigerator. One to two tablespoons of gel per day will allow you to reach the many benefits of chia. Chia can also be eaten dry – either ground or as the whole seed. If eating them plain, it is recommended to drink a glass of water in addition.
If you would like to purchase US, you can do so directly on our site.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.